In 1946, the year after the Second World War, with conditions in the country still austere, the owners of Richard Thomas & Baldwin’s Steelworks loaned the “Company Big House and Grounds” to the workforce to form a Welfare, Sports & Social Club.
In 1947, a bowls club was formed with a green in these grounds. The steelworkers, many having returned home from active service in the war were provided with ways to spend their leisure time with their families.
The early years started very successfully, the club winning the Monmouthshire Championships in 1949 and 1950.
The club was so popular that a second green was laid in 1950, floodlighting was installed in 1982 to the north green enabling evening bowls and charity matches to be played.
The Welsh Bowling Association used these facilities for the National Championships during the 1980’s and early 1990’s. The club also hosted the British Isles Bowling Association International Series in 1991.
The club name changed to British Steel with the change in ownership of the steelworks and eventually reverted back to the original name of RTB Ebbw Vale as the steelworks became known as Corus.
In 2002, the steelworks closed down, the works site including the Big House and grounds were purchased by the Welsh Assembly to be developed by Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council. The excellent facilities at the Big House and Lever Hall were demolished, the bowling green and pavilion being used until 2010. The relocation of the Bowls Club to Eugene Cross Park commenced in 2008 with a new green being laid and a new extension being built to the Pavilion.